Friday, December 3, 2010

NO No noooooooooo!

Got the test results back yesterday, but the nurse who I spoke to on the phone earlier yesterday actually thought she was speaking to someone else... so that was good because what she said to me over the phone did not make any sense to me.

Not that my test results made any sense to me.. well at least not all of them.
It showed low levels of TSH but normal levels of T4 - which points toward a syndrome that is called "Subclinical Hyperthyroidism" (I did my own online research when I got home).

My A1c was slightly high on the test, too high for my liking. This is a sign that verifies my suspicions that I do have some kind of insulin issue...

My cholesterol was a little skew, my good (HDL) was too low and my bad ones (LDL & TriG) were too high. But I have nothing to compare it with since it was the first time I took it. I am a little against measuring cholesterol because I don't think it really shows a good picture of your health anyway.. we need the lipoproteins in order to tell a better story. But it is a starting point.



So here are my thoughts
I have been thinking for a while that I was having thyroid issues because I have such a hard time loosing weight and have gained so much since coming off the birth control over a year ago now, and on top of that I am having a very low basal temperature in the morning, over one full degree of what is considered 'normal'... But all those issues point toward Hypothyroidism and not Hyperthyroidism! How can I be still FAT while I have a hyper thyroid?!

Second, doesn't the thyroid and insulin kind of go hand in hand? Can you have hypoT with high levels of TSH? I mean, off course you can, but does it really make sense?

I have so many questions that I think I need to speak to a Endocrinologist... I don't think my levels are alarming of any kind, they are very manageable but I still want to be able to understand it a little bit better. The doctor did not want to see me yesterday, it was just the mistake of the nurse. But then she said: "He wants you have to go on a strictly diet, and we will take your tests again in February"...

Now to someone that has no idea what low TSH, high LDL, Low B12, Normal T4, Low D3, High A1c means - what kind of a diet is that person suppose to go on. Because I am PRETTY darn sure different people call different thing a diet. Weight Watchers, Jenny Graig, Atkins, South beach, GI,  No Gluten, LCHF, Count Calories... just to name of few - which one is a diet in your mind? And which one would in your mind make the best impact on the above test results???

Well, I know which one I am going to pick - and I would have done so no matter what the doctor said, but what about other people. What does 'Going on a diet' mean?? Just as what does 'I eat healthy' mean???!!!

Off course I am struggling with the questions if this is by any chance related to Yasmin... In my mind it is.. I found this article where they say "...TSH may be unintentionally suppressed during hormone replacement therapy in about 20% of hypothyroid patients..." http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/full/152/1/1
I simply think that my 11 years on birth control has destroyed parts of my body's own functions and while I was on it, it was simply hiding those issues. But I might only be looking for something else to blame than myself...

And another journey begins...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Helena,

    I stumbled onto your blog after being on the Yasmin Survivors website. I, like so many of the women that have posted there, had a terrible time on the pill (was on and off it for about 4 years), even worse off the pill. After I got off of Yasmin, my TSH jumped from 2.1 to 41.7 in a matter of a couple of months, and as of last year I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism (the autoimmune version). I have no DOUBT in my mind that it was Yasmin that sparked the autoimmune reactions in my body, whether it was due to it's depleting my body of necessary vitamins, the progestin, who knows. Both getting off Yasmin, and coming down with hypothyroidism has affected my cycle, and I currently am on an rx'd form of natural progesterone (it was either that, or back on BCP to regulate my cycle...never again), and I'm doing much better. Anyways, I wanted to comment on your above post, related to thryoid issues. It DOES NOT MATTER what your TSH states, that is not an accurate nor definite measure of the AMOUNT of active thyroid hormone that you have in your body. You NEED to be tested for both Free T4 and Free T3*(the active hormone responsible for metabolism) to see the actual amounts of thryoid hormone available for use by your body. Now on medication (T4 and T3 meds), my TSH is almost at 0, but my Free levels are about mid-range. And I'm DEFINITELY NOT Hyperthyroid, hah. Also, any elevated cholesterol levels & low Vit D levels smacks of Hypothyroidism - mine were the same, until I was properly treated. I really think Yasmin is an evil drug, and am so glad you are off it and getting better. But please get those tests, and as a side note, endocrinologists do diabetes well, but not so much thyroid issues - the first endo I saw put me on Synthroid at a low level, and that was that. I didnt get properly treated until 2 doctors after that. Check out the stopthethyroidmadness.com website for info. This is the 1st time I've randomly posted on someone's blog, but I really feel for you, and think that getting your thyroid more accurately looked into will help alleviate some issues...I know for me it did. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you so much for your caring comment. I feel for you too!!! I am so upset for every woman this pill has destroyed, and it has probably destroyed a few relationships too.

    If you red through some of the newer posts on here you would probably see that I have taken the holistic approach completely. I no longer care what a blood test say (not that I did before either really but still), however I will have it tested again soon just because I am curious. I agree with you about the T4.. and I found it strange that they did not test it when I asked to have my thyroid tested.

    I now strongly believe that my thyroid was working so hard because it was overcompensating for something else.. and kind of forgot to do what it was suppose to do. I know it sounds dumb but the human body is not a puzzle of body parts but a symphony that is ONE all together. When something is weak the body will try by itself to heal it, taking whatever measures is necessary and available.

    It is not until now, when I have gotten the proper help that my body is responding correctly. I no longer consider my thyroid to be off (but it is left to see when I take my blood test). And the help I got had nothing to do with my thyroid. My thyroid was just trying to help a buddy out.. most likely it was my digestion and intestine.

    I hope you are able to completely heal too from all of this one day. I send you many warming hugs and support.

    ReplyDelete